“A source of community strength and pride, the Virginia Public Schools work in partnership with families and the local community to educate and engage our students and prepare them to be productive and responsible citizens.”
The Virginia Public Schools’ work is guided by these principles:
- Respect – Our District upholds the concept of equality and practices mutual respect for individual differences at every level of school interaction. We want all students to feel they belong, are included, and have the opportunity to learn in a safe environment.
- The Whole Child – We embrace a comprehensive approach to education that ensures each student is healthy, safe, engaged, supported, and challenged. Our definition of success is focused on the balanced development of children in addition to academic achievement.
- Highest Quality – Our District values a culture of continuous improvement, seeking out best practices and regularly assessing our results in order to maximize individual student potential.
- Community Engagement – We address the comprehensive needs of students through a shared responsibility and mutual partnership between students, families, school and community.
- Stewardship – As a public school, we are dedicated to utilizing the community’s educational assets in an accountable, cost-effective way, keeping the collective needs of students as our top priority.
Vision Of Educational Success
The Virginia Public School District envisions an environment where every child matters and strong community roots foster success. Young adults emerging from our schools will be well-rounded in their experiences and knowledge from academics, to the arts, to athletics. This range of opportunities will allow individuals to explore and discover their talents and interests, eventually helping them to determine a career path and lifetime pursuits. Alignment of coursework with their individual career choice will fully prepare students for whichever post-secondary path they want to follow, understanding that all these choices have value. Every student will be supported to graduate from high school, and will do so knowing the next steps they will take toward achieving their future goals.
No matter their direction, all students will possess basic life skills, be financially literate, and have the ability to use 21st century technology. They will be critical thinkers and creative problem solvers who love learning and are motivated to continue gaining knowledge throughout their lives. They will know how to think for themselves while working towards a common goal with a diverse group of people. They will be kind and respectful young adults with the interpersonal skills that allow them to function well in society. They will possess inner strength and confidence, and will have developed the resilience and coping skills needed to face life’s challenges. They will be physically and mentally healthy and take responsibility for leading healthy lifestyles. Students will leave our school with a sense of belonging and pride in the community they come from, be able to think beyond themselves, and have a desire to give back.