Virginia Public Schools’ Student Internet Use Rules & Responsibilities
Individual users of the Virginia Public Schools’ Internet resources are responsible for their use of the network. The use of these resources must be in support of education and research and must be consistent with the academic expectations of the Virginia Public Schools. Use of other organizations’ networks or computing resources must comply with the rules appropriate for that network. Transmission of any material in violation of U.S. or state regulations including copyrighting, threatening, or obscene materials is prohibited. Use for commercial activities for profit by organizations, product promotion, political lobbying, or illegal activities is strictly prohibited.
The user is expected to abide by the following network rules of etiquette:
- Be polite. Do not write or send abusive messages.
- Use appropriate language. Do not swear, use vulgarities or any other offensive language.
- Transmission of obscene materials is prohibited. Sending or receiving offensive messages or pictures from any source will result in immediate suspension of privileges.
- Do not reveal the personal address or phone number of yourself or other students.
- Do not communicate any credit card number, bank account number, or any other financial information.
- Students will be issued electronic mail accounts. Use of electronic mail is provided only for school related activities. Electronic mail is not guaranteed to be private. The System Administrator shall have access to all electronic mail.
- Do not use the network in such a way that would disrupt the use of the network by other users.
- Vandalism – any malicious attempt to harm or destroy data of another user will not betolerated. Any questionable action will result in the cancellation of user privileges.